Is it Hot in Here?

My heart’s still pounding as I write this. I was working in my garage studio all morning but needed something out of the kitchen office. As I walked in the room, I smelled acrid fumes and heard a faint crackling sound around the desk area. The Xerox machine spontaneously started up and the smell was getting stronger. I couldn’t see flames but the crackling sound was coming from behind the desk. I quickly turned off the surge protector and the noise stopped.
After inspecting all the machines and cleaning up the tangled cord mess, I realized that the surge protector must be the culprit. I picked it up and put my nose close to an outlet and my suspicions were confirmed. It was a very old unit and needed replacing years ago. I consider myself pretty lucky since I discovered it in time and I was home. I don’t even want to think of the other possibilities. Now is the time to do thorough home fire safety check.

About Karen Elaine

Artist, author and teacher.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s